Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Bakery / Sweetshop model in 1/12 scale (P2) >click here to see models on my Flickr page<


Interior Stairway

On a building that is this complex and detailed, I like to start with the interior and work my way out to the walls rather than start with an empty shell and work inside. Some spaces are going to get pretty tight anyway as time goes on, so I like to finish things out right down to the paint then build on from there.

The first part I made for the interior was the curved stairway. This was thanks to Marsha at Enchanticals for the clever idea :)


I ripped pine strips for the treads & risers then glued them in long extrusions. I then cut the treads to a equal width using a stop block on the band saw. That put a slight V shape on one side which became the inner radius. Everything is constructed on a scrap of 1/4 luan to be cut to finished size later.









To keep the stairway fabrication consistent I found a glass mug with a fairly parallel vertical wall. Each tread is just glued & weighted to the tread below and allowed to dry before adding the next. As the stairs grew I raised the glass with a block of wood underneath.


I did a drawing with a cross section of the entire house on graph paper to work out the stair count, etc to make it easier later on. The landing will become the main floor, the bottom of the stairs will be an implied basement. That will end on a stone floor and be the 'kitchen' area with mainly 'old world' brick & stone construction











Stair Rail Assembly

From the landing on up there was no support under the stairs because I wanted the option to detail underneath. It was somewhat flexible so I made the handrail pieces long enough to reach all the way to the floor. That helped stabilize the piece.


The tall vertical piece is a 3/4 'post' (9"x9" to scale) that will accept the stairway as it continues back around itself. I pre cut a vertical notch in it to lock in the front door, which is set up at the same height as the stair landing. Everything is glued down to the working surface which in turn will be glued to the model base.

The tabs of wood under the landing are just to glue in the sub floor of the first level. Then the finished surface will be 'planks' ripped on the table saw and glued to that sub floor. This locks everything together really tight so it lasts for years.

18 comments:

  1. Wow. This looks very tricky! I want to rework the stairs in my dollhouse so there will be a landing at the bottom. I don't know where to start! I'm sure you could whip it out in no time! I'll just sit here and stare at your photos and see if anything will sink in...
    You do amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Kathi. If I hadn't stumbled upon the drinking glass, it would have wobbled all over the place, but then again, its 'Storybook Style' and there are no rules!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most intriguing method for stair (spiral or otherwise) construction that i have ever seen. I changed the layout in my dollhouse necessitating a complete re-do of the stairs. I was at a loss and the house has remained stairless...building a unit and then installing might be the answer!

    Beautiful cottage, btw.
    Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely recommend that Tabitha. WOrk out as much on the bench as you can then install as a single piece (or split in two if you simply cant get one thru a tight stairwell). I prefer to build a house from the center core outwards, myself. Then fully paint, detail etc while you can see & reach everything :)
    -Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see more! Love that ice cream stained glass door you've created.
    Reisl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Reisl :) I dont have a digital camera yet, more pics on the way when the roll gets shot & developed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ron,
    It would be interesting to know why they cancelled your trip to Dubai? Is it because of the current economic downswing? I have so many friends there, but they are currently still happy and earning heaps of money, lets hope it lasts for them, but I do hear many horror stories.

    On to your question about craft shops etc, they are non existent. I can now buy Balsa and Bass wood in 4 different thicknesses, and the other day the same bookshop had sheets of veneer (but 'nameless'- so probably could not sell somewhere else in the world. As for the rest, nothing at all, or as they say here 'MAFI'!
    Sometimes I do feel sorry for myself! But then I discover something that I can use in the oddest place (like a gift wrapping service /shop), and things are looking up again. All other thing needs to be brought in my luggage when I travel, as most companies do not like to ship things here. Things have changed a lot over the 10 years that I have lived here, and who knows, perhaps miniatures and crafts will take off in a big way....
    We can always hope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was for a Theme Park resort proposal of sorts, thats all I know this early on and yes it was the economic downturn. The main question and I think you answered it, is about material supplies if we would have to import everything we needed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ron,I wanted to say welcome on my blog!...It is truly a very big honor to have such a master like you as a follower.
    Thank you very much!

    Regards,
    Sabiha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Sabiha, Im so glad you had a chance to stop by and see my page. There is alot more on the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see more,I have also seen your flicker foto's,amazing!

    Have fun making some beautiful new miniatures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Sabiha, and for visiting my Flickr page. I really like your authentic 'old world' look you have with your miniatures. You have access to visiting the actual places and objects to re-create there in Europe, but here we just have photos. I can't wait to see more of your pieces as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very glad to have found your site, Ron. Your Flickr photos are really inspiring. Thanks for sharing how you built the staircase; I'll be building my own curved staircase in the next year or two and have been trying to work out how to do it. As everything I do is a scratch build, and I have no experience to speak of, it's so great to get ideas from other experienced builders. I'll be following your progress with much interest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Belle :) ...this is actually the first one I have tried, based on a suggestion. So far, so good, but not without its own setbacks & restarts. I hope to see yours soon as well! *peace*
    -Ron

    ReplyDelete
  15. Realmente un trabajo maravilloso, felicidades¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been a fan of your's on Flickr and am happy to have found your blog. I have just received a Microlux saw for my birthday so will be studying your designs for inspiration.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Jody, and welcome to my page. Please ask anything you may need, and I sure hope to help out any way I can!
    -Ron

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Angeles, Im so glad you found my page :)

    ReplyDelete